In 2019 Somers Primary School introduced studies of the language and culture of our nearest neighbour, Indonesia. Students from Foundation (Prep) to Year 6 participate in 45 minute sessions with a qualified LOTE (Language Other than English) teacher. Our dedicated Indonesian classroom provides an ideal language learning environment in which students can immerse themselves.
In studying Indonesian students gain valuable language learning skills which transfer to their first language and provide them with the ideal stepping stone to future language studies in secondary school. The program aims to promote second language acquisition in a fun and interactive way. Students:
- focus on the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking
- learn through language games, songs, stories, puzzles, oral language practice, role play, multi-media resources and written activities
- acquire knowledge of Indonesian vocabulary, grammar and language structures related to their daily life and the world around them
- build confidence in speaking a second language in front of their class mates and
- are required to work as both an individual and as part of a group.
As outlined in the Victorian Curriculum our LOTE program also focuses on deepening intercultural understanding which is important in our ever expanding global community. Students participate in activities related to Indonesian art, animals, puppets, masks, legends, celebrations, music, food, daily life and contemporary society.